I have to start this post by adding that it it is a huge surprise for me that I want so badly to write about food and its impact on health. For my whole life, people talking about health/food and all their bla bla bla always drove me insane. I was the one that rolled my eyes when someone started telling me about their paleo or gluten free lifestyle. It was my pet peeve (probably because I met so many people along the way that were all bout talking, and they needed me to agree with them, but… still, I wasn’t the nicest about it). So here I am, as humble as humble can be, writing my own “food for health” story. I don’t believe that the same diet works for everyone. We are unique beings, in every way. So I will never find necessary that others either like or follow the lifestyle I have chosen for me. Sharing it, however, has become a desire for me. And when desire knocks on the door, we all know it… follow your heart!
It hasn’t been too long yet since I started following a Keto lifestyle (high fat, low carb). I am somewhat open about it, and try not to be so strict as to find myself “dieting”. Dieting is not the goal here, health is. The reasons I started are:
- Low energy levels after meals
- Irritability, mood swings (totally food related, I knew)
- Frequent trips to the potty
- Unbalanced/ unstable bloood sugar (the reason for some of the other feelings)
- Fatigue (not alarming, but it was present)
- Bloating after meals
- Feeling “hangry” way too often
And after only a month or so of ditching sugars and starches out the door, here’s the aftermath – the benefits I feel, so far:
- Even, amazing energy throughout the day
- Lower insulin levels/ blood sugar levels
- Better sleep
- Mood is balanced, even, irritability is gone
- Metabolism is balanced
- Less trips to the potty
- Increased focus
- Increased confidence in my body and what it tells me
- Better feelings/ no energy crash after meals
- And many more…
So yeah, no wonder I’m delighted with this lifestyle. But honestly, the one reason this feels like the optimal way to go for me is this: focus. Increased focus. Even focus, clarity, all day long. Maybe this is the way my body is telling me: thank you, now let’s use our energy for better purposes. And this is why I call this my “Keto High” life: it makes me feel high with life. High with life energy, all day long. Organically, naturally, just by eating the right foods for me.
Well – let’s see what today brings!